Friday, October 23, 2009

Bavarian Bliss


“Cooking anything interesting this weekend,” boss man asked one morning at work.
“Well,” I answered vaguely, “I was thinking of doing some sort of Oktoberfest themed feast. Not sure what to cook though . . .”

Boss man was silent, staring down at his old German coffee roaster, as if conversing with it for inspiration. Then he looked up, a gleeful gastronomic gleam in his eye: “You wanna know what to cook. I’ll tell you. This’ll really impress them, ok. You’d better write this down.” The man clearly had a plan so I didn’t argue.

“Go to the Bavarian meats shop in Pike Place Market. Go and buy a big piece of smoked pork ribs. Ok? And a good selection of sausages. You’re also going to need sauerkraut, potatoes and a big pot. . . .”

And so, obedient to these instructions, I found myself trundling down to Pikes yesterday morning, bleary eyed from a late night yet still bouncing with enthusiasm for my impending visit to Bavarian Meats. I entered the little doorway, tucked inside the market amongst the candy stores, bakeries and delis, and felt that familiar sense of child-like delight as I stepped inside. This place is heaven, walls lined with mustards and pickles, breads and jams.


I read the familiar labels: the lavender wrapped bars of Milka chocolate sporting its signature contented cow; golden foil trimmed bottles of apfelsaft, and packages of rye bread boasting a plethora of benefits to mind and body. Behind the meat case brimming with bratwurst and bockwurst, knockwurst and landjaeger, bacon, ham hocks and a million other configurations of the flesh, the Bavarian ladies bustled about. I waited patiently whilst they attended to the other customers. This was not something to rush. I wanted their full attention.


When the shop was finally empty I stepped up to the counter. “Now,” said one of the aproned ladies in heavily accented English, peering at me cheerfully with a knife in one hand and a piece of sausage in the other, “how can I help you?”

I was so bubbling with enthusiasm for this cozy shop and its contents that I found I didn’t have the ability to think properly. Boss man had told me what to buy, but I decided that the occasion called for assistance. I explained to the woman vaguely what I intended to make and asked her to pick out the requisite meats. Her eyes lit up as she nodded effusively. She understood, then fired a volley of questions: “How many people? Men or women? Do zay have big appetites? You like spicy sausage? Ok. I find a bacon end to give you. Yes, you throw it in for flavor. I go get my chef.” Within moments another aproned woman emerged from behind a curtain, this one smudged with flour and clearly in the middle of cooking. She listened seriously while I tried to relay boss man’s recipe, and agreed, reminding me to glaze the onion before folding in the sauerkraut, and tossing a final chunk of pig into my bag.

In addition to the meats I bought several jars of sauerkraut. Finally, unable to resist the pull of nostalgia, I tossed in a bar of Milka. Milk chocolate with hazelnuts. The crinkle of the wrapper; the rich, creamy sweetened chocolate and contrasting crunch of toasted nut . . . I floated back to the clean cold alpine air. Snow laden fields, glades, heisse schokolade, fondue, exercise induced exhaustion, muddy boots, chap stick, terrifying drop offs, layers of woolen sweaters . . . ski holidays in Switzerland.

Reluctantly I gathered my bags and prepared to leave the shop. “Do you need mustard,” the lady asked as an afterthought.

“Oh, no thank you,” I replied, “I’m making my own flavored mustards.” She beamed even more broadly and patted my shoulder. “Ah! You are a good girl.”

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, your bavarian feast on Saturday night was off the fucking chain.

    Let me know when you decide to do the frozen Hungry Man dinner and deep fried twinkies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rach glad you had fun at Bavarian Meats......although for a moment i thought you were going Sound of Music on us.....maybe a carnivore version set in an alpine butchers ref little shop of horrors etc starring Franky Furtive...could fold in racial tensions underlying european unification... might be a bock burster in Cannes ....enough of that fer now... The Boss

    ReplyDelete