Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ancient Kitchen Gadgets

For a long time now I have been fantasizing about owning my own mortar and pestle. Not just any old specimen, but one of those pale, weighty stone bowls with carved, knobbed handles and a wooden pestle to go with it. For a while I resisted the allure of this ancient kitchen gadget, telling myself it was simply romantic and pointless. After all, I already possess a battalion of tools that can be used to for the purpose of bashing a combination of ingredients together. And I have been muddling along perfectly well with a rolling pin and a bowl for ages.

However, I finally gave myself permission to indulge in this purchase after hearing an excerpt from The Splendid Table. (You know, that public radio program hosted by the woman with an incredibly comforting voice—you can just imagine her bustling about with warming Italian soups.) Anyway, they were discussing the mortar and pestle, pointing out that it has a significantly different effect on ingredients than a blender for instance. Instead of cutting with a blade, it squashes with the blunt pressure of the pestle on the stone mortar, releasing more oils in the process. The techniques are really quite different and each is useful in specific circumstances. For instance when you’re making a mojito, a mortar and pestle would be the perfect choice for muddling the mint, lemon, and sugar together, dissolving the sweet crystals in the acid and releasing the mint’s oil into the mix.

And so, after having my romantic gadget confirmed as a truly useful tool, I gleefully headed for the kitchen shop and bought the biggest one I could find. I am happy to report that it looks exactly like the medieval image I had in mind, adding an air of the apothecary and alchemist to my kitchen. Now, I’ll just have to find a way to use it for my next feast.

1 comment: