Thursday, September 24, 2009

Epic Beef

Well, I shall never say an uncharitable word against Mother again. She came up trumps, returning from town with a massive 6-rib roast. I spent a good five minutes ou- ing and ah-ing over its lustrous sheen and healthy marbling of fat. Am not sure I have ever before had the luxury of roasting a joint this epic. Better not bugger it up, that’s for sure.

In addition to the beef, Mother also produced a knurly length of horseradish root so that I can make my own freshly creamed condiment and avoid those junky jarred specimens. This is more unchartered territory as I have never seen a whole horseradish, let alone prepared it before. Luckily I am in good hands, clutching steadfastly to the River Cottage Meat Book, by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, one of my favorite cookbook authors. He calls his version of a traditional English Sunday lunch, “the Full Monty of roast beef.” How could you not like this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment